San Antonio, Texas
Dental hygiene is the first step on the road to dental health and beauty. Your teeth and mouth need to be healthy first before addressing any additional dental problems. Experienced dentists such as Dr. Hale in San Antonio, Texas, know that you can’t put the beautiful finishing touches to your smile without a healthy foundation on which to build.
Discouraging Facts about Americans’ Poor Dental Hygiene
These are reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Office of the Surgeon General of the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS):
- Almost 1/2 of Americans brush their teeth fewer than the recommended 2 to 3 minutes each time
- Almost 70% of 35 to 44-year-olds have already lost at least one permanent tooth
- Fewer than 1/3 of Americans know the daily recommendation for proper brushing
- Only 34% of Americans floss daily
- The combined yearly dental bill of all Americans is approximately $60 billion
If you don’t want to be part of these statistics and do want to improve your dental health, it is a good idea to practice preventive maintenance.
As with any other medical problem, it is easier and less costly to prevent problems rather than trying to fix them later. Our dental hygienists are very experienced as well as gentle and caring. Their goal is to keep you as healthy as possible so you don’t need to have major problems fixed.
The condition of your gums is related to your overall health:
- Heart attacks
One of the ways that our hygienists can help is by ensuring that your gums are in good condition, which in turn keeps your teeth and your body stronger and healthier.
If Dr. Hale notices that your gums need more attention than a regular cleaning can give them, he may recommend nonsurgical gum treatments for you. Then you can get back on the road to better health.
Proper Dental Hygiene
Things you can do to ensure healthy teeth and gums include:
- Avoiding sticky foods
- Avoiding sweets
- Avoiding unhealthy snacks between meals especially if you can’t brush after your snack
- Brushing at least twice a day
- Flossing at least once a day
- Snacking on tooth-friendly items such as cheese, crackers, fruits, or vegetables
- Visiting Dr. Hale for general dental checkups at least twice a year (or more frequently if you have serious dental problems)
If you have any questions or concerns about your dental hygiene, please call or email us immediately. Dr. Hale and our dental hygienist staff members in San Antonio, Texas, will help you get on the right track for better dental as well as general health.